skip navigation

The Musketeers outlast the Storm in a shootout.

By Jake Debo, 03/04/18, 7:00PM CST


Sioux City bounces back with 3-2 victory on Sunday afternoon

SIOUX CITY, IA—It was a rare afternoon game for the Musketeers on Sunday, and to no one’s surprise it was another tight game with the Storm. In fact, 4 of the 5 meetings between the two teams this season have been decided in overtime or a shootout.  Fortunately for the Musketeers, this one fell in their favor as they took down Tri-City in a shootout by a final score of 3-2.

The Musketeers, early in the season, would give up the first goal. Recently they have bucked this bad trend, and the Musketeers who would strike first on Sunday.  Micah Miller found the back of the net on a nice turnaround shot which beat Tri-City goaltender Connor Hopkins.  The Musketeers would lead starting halfway through the 1st period.  As recent games have trended, the rest of the period was tight, but neither team could find twine. So once again, the Musketeers would head into the locker room with the lead.

The 2nd period was uncharacteristically quite for both sides, with neither team scoring in the period.  There were no penalties in the period and those prime scoring chances were few and far between.

Tri-City managed to get on the board just 21 seconds into the 3rd period, when a Tyler Madden slap shot beat Jurusik, evening the game up at 1.  The Storm would then take the lead less than two minutes later when some tic-tac-toe passing left former Musketeer Connor McMenamin wide open in front of the net. The game picked up in intensity immediately following the second Tri-City goal.  A seemingly harmless play—nearly turned into a line brawl—when Dorian Dawson and Martin Pospisil dropped the gloves with multiple Storm combatants.  That lit a fire under the Musketeers, A few minutes later, it seemed like they found the equalizer off a Jack Babbage slap shot and subsequent tip by Parker Ford.  After a quick review, however, the goal was called back due to a high-stick.  The Musketeers didn’t let that dampen their spirits and they were rewarded just a few seconds later after the overturned goal.  Nate Clurman made an excellent cross ice pass to an open Bauer Neudecker in the Musketeer offensive zone.  Neudecker snuck behind the defenders, leaving him one-on-one with Hopkins. He lifted a perfect shot, hitting under the bar and in, to tie the game up at 2.  Neither team could break the tie in the period which meant, once again, this one would head to OT.

The overtime period wasn’t enough to find a winner, so this one would be decided in a shootout.  Sampo Ranta stepped up as the first shooter for the Musketeers, and scored doing what he does best, shooting.  It turns out that’s all the Musketeers would need, as Matt Jurusik shut down all three Tri-City shooters to give the Musketeers a much needed win on Sunday afternoon. 

With the win, the Musketeers move back into a tie for 6th place with the Lincoln Stars, but have played one more game than Lincoln.  Sioux City will try to keep the momentum going next week, when they travel up to Sioux Falls on Friday to take on the Stampede.  Be sure to head over to Buffalo Wild Wings to catch the game live, and as always you can also catch it on 620 KMNS.