skip navigation

Sioux City 3 Omaha 4

By Jake Debo, 02/08/19, 11:00PM CST


Sioux City comes away from Omaha with frustrating loss

OMAHA,NE—The Musketeers made the trip down to Omaha on Friday night for one game against the Lancers.  The Musketeers managed to jump out to an early lead in this one but could not hold on, losing in a shootout 4-3.

The Musketeers gained the advantage just over in a minute into the game thanks to the “Motorcycle Line.”  Jon Mor had trouble collecting the puck after an initial shot by Kevin Lombardi.  Nilsson saw the loose puck and after a few pokes managed to get the puck past Mor for a 1-0 lead.  Aaron Grounds had the other assist on the play.  It would be the Motorcycle line again 8 minutes later.  This time it was Aaron Grounds who pulled off a sneaky wraparound shot to put the Musketeers up by 2.

The Musketeers would keep the pressure on Omaha, and it wasn’t long before they managed to find the back of the net again.  This time it was Marcus Kallionkieli cleaning up a rebound in front of the net to give the Musketeers a 3-0 lead.  Bobby Brink had the assist on the goal.  Omaha would start to climb back late in the period when Austen Long scored at the 16:17 mark to bring the Lancers within two.

The game wasn’t too contentious through the 1st period of play, but things started to heat up in the 2nd.  After Jack Babbage applied a huge, clean open ice hit he was immediately jumped by Logan Will.  Will and Babbage would both head off for fighting with Will getting an extra two minutes for instigating.  With just over a minute gone on the powerplay Parker Ford was called for boarding, negating the rest of Sioux City’s powerplay.  Omaha would get another late goal in the period with under 3 minutes to play sending Sioux City to the locker room holding on to a 3-2 lead.

Things started to escalate in the 3rd period, and it was ugly.  The Musketeers and Lancers were involved in post-whistle scrums numerous times, and things quickly fell out of control.  Aaron Grounds was accosted by one Lancer player but then a second Lancer player quickly jumped in.  When the dust settled Grounds was hit with a double minor, while Omaha had just one player sent to the box giving the Lancers a powerplay.  Two minutes later a late hit was administered to Nolan Krenzen, and Adam Samuelsson decided to step in.  In the end, it was just Samuelsson who was sent to the box after quickly sitting down the Omaha player.  Unfortunately, the Lancers would score on the ensuing powerplay to tie the game at three.

During another post-whistle scrum Martin Pospisil was jumped by multiple Lancer players, but it was Pospisil who came away with the penalty.  After entering the box, Lancer fans began to throw things at Pospisil, not a pretty scene at Ralston Arena. Pospisil would need to be restrained and was sent to the locker room for the rest of the game.

 Both teams would go scoreless in the rest of the 3rd period and in overtime to send this one to a shootout.

Unfortunately, Omaha would come out on top handing Sioux City a very frustrating 4-3 loss.

The Musketeers will return to action tomorrow night at the Tyson Events Center as they seek revenge on the Chicago Steel who they saw just a few weeks ago.  Puck drop set for 7:05 pm.